Skip to main content

A Winning Week

A week of running, sunshine and smiles!

This week was a busy week with three races; 2 x 5k and a 10k in Gosport and Bedford respectively. 
I started the week doing the Gosport Summer Series 5k Race 2 on Tuesday evening after a day of Police training. This was an exciting race for me as I had looked at the the results of Race 1 the previous month and knew that if I ran as fast as I thought I could, and the other competitiors were the same then I stood a chance of winning my age category. This was the first race all year where there was something more to gain than just a PB or a medal and so the adrenaline was pumping as I stood on the start line. So much so that when the race started I went off at a blistering speed thinking that I was Mo Farah or something and was leading the pack for a good 5 metres! And then my body caught up with me and I realised that I couldn’t possibly keep up that pace and had to slow down a bit whilst what seeemed like the entire field passed me. However I managed to keep pushing myself forward and kept up a decent pace and finished the race with a PB of 24:01. I had spent a great deal of time playing the age guessing game as to who would be in my category and was pretty convinced that I wouldn’t have won my category but hung around for the presentation at the end just in case. The winner of the female race was announced in a time of 17:34- HELEN FRANCIS! I looked around thinking there must have been someone else with the same name and then realised that they meant me! I had to put my hand up and admit that although that was my name, I definitely hadn’t run a near world record time and there was obviously some sort of technical glitch! In short, someone had run with last months number and caused the cock up meaning my official time was amended to 24:01 and I was confirmed as the Veteran 35 group winner. Result! Especially as wine was the prize!


The coveted prize of rose wine!


The week continued with me running as a pacer at the Parkrun on Saturday along with my friend Amy who joined me for the second time. I found pacing much easier this week as I had already done it before and found myself ahead of the pace just to ensure that I definitely came in on time this week. I got to slow down right at the end and let about 6 people pass me to get sub 35 min times which was great. I definitely think pacing and coaching is something which I want to explore further.

The week ended with the Bedford 10k on Sunday with my father in law, Trevor accompanying me and I had high hopes of getting another PB as the course was supposedly flat and fast. It also helped knowing the area as it always seems to go faster when you know exactly where you are and where you are going. The race couldn’t have gone better really. I had a target of running at least 8:28 minute miles so that I could get a decent PB but managed to run an average of 8:17 minute miles giving me a massive PB of 51:34 and knocking 4 minutes of my previous PB. I was also 15/115 in my age category which I didn’t think was bad.  I was also able to cheer on Trevor at the finish who got a time of 62 minutes. From there it was time to go home, have a quick shower and finish packing before heading on a flight to Cyprus where I have been mostly lying around since then.

Enjoying a well deserved rest!

I am only £235 away from my £2000 target. It would mean so much to me if I could hit that target before I am deployed in 4 weeks time. If you can spare any money then please donate at:


KM Complete: 222KM
KM To Go: 78KM 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

I am in my second week of training and I cannot remember how it feels to not be in pain! With running three times a week and doing circuits twice a week I am certainly regretting the Christmas indulgence (actually I’m not, it was totally worth it). My first half marathon is only four weeks ago and I am a little bit scared but hopefully once the first one is done, the others wont seem so bad. Fingers crossed! I am doing Parkrun Bedford on Saturday for the first time which will kick off my challenge and bring me 5k closer to my target. Only 195k to go after that! If you are willing and able then please support me on this challenge and donate whatever you can to Dementia UK using the following link: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenFrancis10 There is also more information on there as to why I am doing this challenge and why it is so important to me. If you want to know more about the charity then please follow this link: https://www.dementiauk.org/ Thanks for reading and se

For Grandma

Running 21km with my big sister                                                                                         This race, the Sunderland City Half Marathon was probably the most important race of this challenge. I got to run in my hometown with my big sister by my side and the majority of Grandma’s family were there to cheer us on- 10 adults, 6 children and 2 dogs to be exact! It was the first time we had all been together since her funeral and I like to think that it was a happy and proud occasion to remember my Grandma and support the fundraising for Dementia UK. The race itself was ok, the massive amount of hills was not! I definitely do not remember there being so many long hills in Sunderland and the looping nature of the course was a bit demoralising at times. However once we crossed the bridge to our ‘neck of the woods’ it was a lot more enjoyable; running along the seafront and through the park where I spent my childhood and running into the cheers of all of o

It was raining.....

I completed the first 5k of my challenge on Saturday at Bedford Parkrun. It was raining....a lot! So I managed to drag my freezing cold and wet behind around the course in 29:24 placing 233rd out of 418. Not my best time but definitely a good place to start. I am planning on doing the Parkrun every month this year and hopefully with some more training and some better weather I will look less of a mess than I do in this picture! Please visit my fundraising page and help support me in this challenge. I am still looking for that first donor to get me started. Will you be the first??   https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenFrancis10