Skip to main content

It's Been Tough!

Finishing the Great North 10K in Gateshead Stadium

This is a belated entry for a number of reasons. Firstly, with my deployment on the horizon I feel like I didn’t have any time to sit down and write the blog. I was either away on courses, spending time with the family or running! And I was exhausted! Which leads me to the second reason, that I needed a break from this challenge. Whilst I was enjoying running races on both days of the weekend, I was so tired and by the time I got to the Falklands I needed a rest. So a rest is what I had. What I intended to be for about 4 days turned very quickly into 4 weeks. I did no physical exercise and ate what I wanted which seemed fun to begin with until I realised again that I love running and wanted to get back out there. I am back training now; running, swimming and cycling 5-6 times a week and am loving it. But more on that later.

It is now time to catch up on the events I crammed in before I deployed. After enjoying a weeks holiday in Cyprus with the family I was back into the events with my usual Parkrun at the end of June. As usual, when I have another race the next day, I was a 35 minute pacer which is something which I enjoy immensely. However, with the heat wave which had hit the UK, running was starting to become a bit more difficult. The 1st of July saw me run the Bedford Race for Life Half Marathon in the searing heat. The course was not a pleasant one which had me running over sand, stones and grass and at one point through a nettle bush! It was also not very well measured and came up short at just over 12.5 miles. When I realised the course was short I intended to double back at some point like I had done in my first ever race this year. But with the horrific heat and not so friendly course, I was more than happy to cross the finish line at only 12.5 miles and put it down to experience! I had wanted to contribute a little towards Cancer Research for the simple reason that my Grandpa had died of cancer when I was young. Leaving my Grandma alone in the house I believe was a contributing factor to her dementia and I wonder how things would have turned out had my Grandma and Grandpa still been together.

I have never been so happy for a race to be finished! 

I finished the race in a time of 2:07:24 and in 16th place out of 107. Not too bad but I am still unable to break the elusive 2 hour barrier!

The following week saw me head home to Sunderland so that I could see all my family before I went away. This also gave me the opportunity to run a different Parkrun with my sister in South Shields. The course starts on the sea front and then up and over the cliffs, finishing with the final strait of the Great North Run. It was warm again but as Parkrun starts at 9am we were able to complete it before the weather got too bad. I finished in a time of 25:17 which I believe is about my 3rd fastest 5K.
The following day I completed the Great North 10k which started and finished at Gateshead Stadium. It again was hot and the course in parts was steep. The run down onto the Quayside was amazing but getting back up again wasn’t so good. The infamous ‘Slog on the Tyne’, a steep hill to get back up to the Stadium, was hard work but I managed. It was hard work but as I neared the Stadium I could hear the sound system blaring out Take That. It was just what I needed to get me going again and as I ran onto the track in the Stadium I was overcome with the feeling that I was actually a proper athlete! I ran round the bend overtaking people and having a great time. And as you can see from the top photo I had a massive smile on my face when I crossed the finish line. And in a time of 53:33, my 2nd fastest 10k, I was pretty chuffed. The best part was going back home and drinking a bottle of wine which my Dad had bought me months ago which I had never had time to drink! 

All smiles at the finish of the Great North 10k

This brings me back to the current day where I am training for the Stanley Half Marathon which takes place in October. I am also in the process of setting up a Parkrun style weekly race on camp which will help me smash my 300km target. I may very well get to 350km if all goes well! We have strong winds most days and have had snow a lot of the time I have been here but it isn’t putting me off. I figure that when I come back to the UK and there is no wind then I will be super fast! But this is what I have at the moment so I am making the best of it. I cant wait for the next race!

Thank you for the continued support in this challenge. I am only £205 away from my £2000 target and hoping I can achieve this before the end of the year. The money is invaluable to Dementia UK for funding Admiral Nurses who support those living with dementia.

If you can donate then please visit my fundraising page at:


KM Complete: 262KM
KM To Go: 38KM 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

I am in my second week of training and I cannot remember how it feels to not be in pain! With running three times a week and doing circuits twice a week I am certainly regretting the Christmas indulgence (actually I’m not, it was totally worth it). My first half marathon is only four weeks ago and I am a little bit scared but hopefully once the first one is done, the others wont seem so bad. Fingers crossed! I am doing Parkrun Bedford on Saturday for the first time which will kick off my challenge and bring me 5k closer to my target. Only 195k to go after that! If you are willing and able then please support me on this challenge and donate whatever you can to Dementia UK using the following link: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenFrancis10 There is also more information on there as to why I am doing this challenge and why it is so important to me. If you want to know more about the charity then please follow this link: https://www.dementiauk.org/ Thanks for reading and se

For Grandma

Running 21km with my big sister                                                                                         This race, the Sunderland City Half Marathon was probably the most important race of this challenge. I got to run in my hometown with my big sister by my side and the majority of Grandma’s family were there to cheer us on- 10 adults, 6 children and 2 dogs to be exact! It was the first time we had all been together since her funeral and I like to think that it was a happy and proud occasion to remember my Grandma and support the fundraising for Dementia UK. The race itself was ok, the massive amount of hills was not! I definitely do not remember there being so many long hills in Sunderland and the looping nature of the course was a bit demoralising at times. However once we crossed the bridge to our ‘neck of the woods’ it was a lot more enjoyable; running along the seafront and through the park where I spent my childhood and running into the cheers of all of o

It was raining.....

I completed the first 5k of my challenge on Saturday at Bedford Parkrun. It was raining....a lot! So I managed to drag my freezing cold and wet behind around the course in 29:24 placing 233rd out of 418. Not my best time but definitely a good place to start. I am planning on doing the Parkrun every month this year and hopefully with some more training and some better weather I will look less of a mess than I do in this picture! Please visit my fundraising page and help support me in this challenge. I am still looking for that first donor to get me started. Will you be the first??   https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenFrancis10