Skip to main content

For Grandma

Running 21km with my big sister
                       
                                                               
This race, the Sunderland City Half Marathon was probably the most important race of this challenge. I got to run in my hometown with my big sister by my side and the majority of Grandma’s family were there to cheer us on- 10 adults, 6 children and 2 dogs to be exact! It was the first time we had all been together since her funeral and I like to think that it was a happy and proud occasion to remember my Grandma and support the fundraising for Dementia UK. The race itself was ok, the massive amount of hills was not! I definitely do not remember there being so many long hills in Sunderland and the looping nature of the course was a bit demoralising at times. However once we crossed the bridge to our ‘neck of the woods’ it was a lot more enjoyable; running along the seafront and through the park where I spent my childhood and running into the cheers of all of our family was amazing. 

Running along the Sea Front

My legs didn’t quite have the 13 miles in them and so I began to suffer around the 11 mile point but managed to push on and finish the race in 2:05:35. It wasn’t a PB but not far off and so I have to be pleased with that. Angela’s shorts gave her some extra power at the end and she finished in 2:04:10 which was a PB for her. So all in all it was a fantastic day out remembering a special lady and raising even more money for Dementia UK.

After the race with our medals 

Unfortunately my car was in the same state as me and struggled in the final stages of getting us home after the race leaving us stranded by the side of the A1with the kids in pyjamas at 9pm! So with my knees and the car being not at their best, I think a little rest from races this week is in order!


Thank you to all who have donated in the past week and pushed me to 73% of my fundraising target! Thank you Charlotte and Sam Derry, Richard and  Sue Percival, Becky Doherty, Tracey Pamplin, Amber Dare, Trevor Francis, Karen Weindling, Jill, Sefton Respiratory Team, Mam and Dad and Angela Deveney. I have been overwhelmed by the support (especially from those I don’t know personally) so thank you from the bottom of my heart!


If you are able to support me on this challenge and help  me reach my targe
t then please visit my fundraising page at:
https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenFrancis10

Thank you!

KM Complete: 161KM
KM To Go: 139KM


My biggest supporter! 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning

I am in my second week of training and I cannot remember how it feels to not be in pain! With running three times a week and doing circuits twice a week I am certainly regretting the Christmas indulgence (actually I’m not, it was totally worth it). My first half marathon is only four weeks ago and I am a little bit scared but hopefully once the first one is done, the others wont seem so bad. Fingers crossed! I am doing Parkrun Bedford on Saturday for the first time which will kick off my challenge and bring me 5k closer to my target. Only 195k to go after that! If you are willing and able then please support me on this challenge and donate whatever you can to Dementia UK using the following link: https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenFrancis10 There is also more information on there as to why I am doing this challenge and why it is so important to me. If you want to know more about the charity then please follow this link: https://www.dementiauk.org/ Thanks for reading and se

It was raining.....

I completed the first 5k of my challenge on Saturday at Bedford Parkrun. It was raining....a lot! So I managed to drag my freezing cold and wet behind around the course in 29:24 placing 233rd out of 418. Not my best time but definitely a good place to start. I am planning on doing the Parkrun every month this year and hopefully with some more training and some better weather I will look less of a mess than I do in this picture! Please visit my fundraising page and help support me in this challenge. I am still looking for that first donor to get me started. Will you be the first??   https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/HelenFrancis10